This year Niceforo Farms (Darwin NT) saw 20,000 trees trimmed back to a slim hedge. The purpose was for better harvesting capability with the autoharvester. Trees were cut back to two metres from the trunk. Check out this video showing the hedger at work down a row of mango.
Hedging mango trees for automation brings advantages to orchard management and harvesting processes. Why is this such a great idea?
- Increased Efficiency: Neatly arranging mango trees in hedge rows creates a structured and uniform layout that automation machinery absolutely loves. It allows robotic harvesters or pruning machines to move around the orchard with ease, saving time and effort that would otherwise be spent on manual tasks.
- Precision and Consistency: One of the fantastic things about automation is its ability to perform tasks with pinpoint accuracy and unwavering consistency. Hedging gives a standardized shape and size so automation equipment can target specific areas of the tree with precision, ensuring consistent results and minimizing any potential harm to the trees or fruit.
- Optimal Resource Utilization: Embracing automation in hedged mango orchards lets us make the most of our available resources. By streamlining processes like pruning or harvesting, we can utilize labor and machinery more efficiently, which ultimately leads to cost savings and increased productivity. It’s all about working smarter, not harder!
- Enhanced Harvesting Processes: Prepare to be amazed by what automation can do for mango orchard harvesting! With robotic harvesters equipped with advanced technologies, such as computer vision and robotic arms, we can identify perfectly ripe fruit, gently pick them, and safely collect them in bins or on conveyors. Hedging the trees simplifies access to the fruit, making the whole process a breeze for our trusty automated helpers.
- Scalability and Adaptability: Hedge rows provide a flexible layout that works seamlessly with automation systems. As your orchard expands or evolves over time, whether through replanting or adopting new technologies, the structured arrangement of hedged trees makes it easy to integrate and adapt automated equipment. Change is part of the plan, as we can modify and reprogram for different harvesting or management techniques.
- Data Collection and Analysis: Get ready for some data-driven insights! Automation in hedged mango orchards goes hand in hand with the opportunity to collect valuable information on tree health, fruit quality, or yield estimates. By leveraging sensor-equipped machinery, we can make informed decisions and optimize our orchard management practices. This means healthier crops, higher yields, and ultimately, better results all around.
By embracing automation in hedged mango orchards, we’re setting ourselves up for optimized orchard management, more efficient harvesting, and scalable, adaptable operations. It’s a win-win situation that helps you reap the sweet rewards of mango production. Happy farming!